美國牛是吃玉米長大的, 味道是一般澳洲牛肉無法比的
生肉撒點黑胡椒加上少量的 kosher salt 後稍微煎一下再放入烤箱
取出來上桌前再撒些 truffle salt 提味
人間美味啊~~~

題外話:
有一次我吃到很好吃的肉以為是美國牛肉
結果原來是大陸山東的牛
讓我非常吃驚

I watched a documentary called "FOOD INC." theres a point they made i reckon its quite right, Cows r born to feed on grass, not corn or any other mixed cow food. thus, they r vulnerable to mad cow disease.

who is to say for sure that cows are born to be fed on grass?
if cows were born in a place full of grass, yes, they would just eat grass...
but what if they were born near a corn field? would they choose not to eat corn?

pigs are not born to be fed on people's leftover food
but that's how people raise pigs for thousands of years in history.....

well, u have to know a little more about our food industry to make such an assumption.

pls find below a couple of links about the problems of corn-fed beef for ur reference.

http://www.foodrevolution.org/grassfedbeef.htm
http://www.deathfood.com/cornfedbeef.html

Thank you for your comment.
I used to work in the kithchen and was trained with Gerard Madavi of The Pierre in New York City, so I believe I happen to know just a little bit about the food industry...

Most (if not all) cattle in the US started out eating grass, once they have grown near maturity, they are fed specially formulated feed based on corn, alfalfa hay, or other grains. This extra corn and grain allow the beef to put on more fat, which makes it more delicious (grass-fed beef tends to be dry and flavorless). Also, from the environment point of view, most grass-fed animals are raised in South America, where they are partially responsible for rain-forest erosion because every year, many forests are turned into grassland to feed those animals.

Pardon my ignorance, though i never heard of Mr. Gerard Madavi, i believe he is an exceptional chef or restauranteur.
The problem of corn-fed beef is its not fit for eating, they have much higher amount of E.Colli than the pasture-fed counterparts.
Neither Corn-fed of Grass beef production is environmentally friendly way of food production, but i'm pretty sure pasture-fed is a greener. don't take it from me, do a little research and u'll get the answers!
i dun mean to offend u, but if u did care about the food we have, the planet we live, u wouldn't brag about corn-fed beef.

p.s. the cows end up on or plates way b4 maturity.

first of all, it's "e. coli" with one "l"

secondly, corn fed beef is just one of the many food items that some people prefer not to have. and the reality is, people choose (not) to eat any particular food based on many reasons, and i respect yours, as i expect you to respect mine. i don't eat eggplant just because i don't like the name.

in my post i simply said corn-fed beef tastes better, which by most people's standard is true.

this grass- and corn- fed beef issue has been around for years. as all issues can be argued from both sides, i think it's quite arrogant to say one is better or healthier than the other. at this point, there are experts on both sides. who is to say who is right?

i resent the fact that you openly accuse me of not caring about the food we eat, or the planet that we live in. i certainly did not "brag" about corn-fed beef. had i said stinky tofu is delicious, would you accuse me of not caring about the air quality?

by the way, e. coli shows up in plant food such as apple juice and salad dressings too. but of course it's easier to just blame it on beef, especially CORN-FED beef.
danielc
初級會員
初級會員
發表 發表於: 星期四 2009-10-29 21:27
引言回覆

cedarwood 寫到:
danielc 寫到:
cedarwood 寫到:
danielc 寫到:
cedarwood 寫到:
danielc 寫到:
cedarwood 寫到:
我喜歡吃美國牛肉 害羞

人間美味啊~~~

題外話:
有一次我吃到很好吃的肉以為是美國牛肉
結果原來是大陸山東的牛
讓我非常吃驚

I watched a documentary called "FOOD INC." theres a point they made i reckon its quite right, Cows r born to feed on grass, not corn or any other mixed cow food. thus, they r vulnerable to mad cow disease.

but what if they were born near a corn field? would they choose not to eat corn?

well, u have to know a little more about our food industry to make such an assumption.

pls find below a couple of links about the problems of corn-fed beef for ur reference.

I used to work in the kithchen and was trained with Gerard Madavi of The Pierre in New York City, so I believe I happen to know just a little bit about the food industry...

Most (if not all) cattle in the US started out eating grass, once they have grown near maturity, they are fed specially formulated feed based on corn, alfalfa hay, or other grains. This extra corn and grain allow the beef to put on more fat, which makes it more delicious (grass-fed beef tends to be dry and flavorless). Also, from the environment point of view, most grass-fed animals are raised in South America, where they are partially responsible for rain-forest erosion because every year, many forests are turned into grassland to feed those animals.

Pardon my ignorance, though i never heard of Mr. Gerard Madavi, i believe he is an exceptional chef or restauranteur.
The problem of corn-fed beef is its not fit for eating, they have much higher amount of E.Colli than the pasture-fed counterparts.
Neither Corn-fed of Grass beef production is environmentally friendly way of food production, but i'm pretty sure pasture-fed is a greener. don't take it from me, do a little research and u'll get the answers!
i dun mean to offend u, but if u did care about the food we have, the planet we live, u wouldn't brag about corn-fed beef.

secondly, corn fed beef is just one of the many food items that some people prefer not to have. and the reality is, people choose (not) to eat any particular food based on many reasons, and i respect yours, as i expect you to respect mine. i don't eat eggplant just because i don't like the name.

in my post i simply said corn-fed beef tastes better, which by most people's standard is true.

this grass- and corn- fed beef issue has been around for years. as all issues can be argued from both sides, i think it's quite arrogant to say one is better or healthier than the other. at this point, there are experts on both sides. who is to say who is right?

i resent the fact that you openly accuse me of not caring about the food we eat, or the planet that we live in. i certainly did not "brag" about corn-fed beef. had i said stinky tofu is delicious, would you accuse me of not caring about the air quality?

by the way, e. coli shows up in plant food such as apple juice and salad dressings too. but of course it's easier to just blame it on beef, especially CORN-FED beef.

i didn't mean to offend u, i just wanna point out the cons of corn-fed beef.
Maybe ur right as there r experts from both camp.....but i just couldn't find much proves about corn-fed beef is healthier and greener than grass-fed beef, care to enlighten me?
cedarwood
白金會員
白金會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2009-10-30 00:14
引言回覆

danielc 寫到:
cedarwood 寫到:
danielc 寫到:
cedarwood 寫到:
danielc 寫到:
cedarwood 寫到:
danielc 寫到:
cedarwood 寫到:
我喜歡吃美國牛肉 害羞

人間美味啊~~~

題外話:
有一次我吃到很好吃的肉以為是美國牛肉
結果原來是大陸山東的牛
讓我非常吃驚

i didn't mean to offend u, i just wanna point out the cons of corn-fed beef.
Maybe ur right as there r experts from both camp.....but i just couldn't find much proves about corn-fed beef is healthier and greener than grass-fed beef, care to enlighten me?

the argument is not about which is the better beef...
it started out from those vegetarians who try to convince the general public to give up meat, particularly beef, which is the main food on the dining room table for most american families. given that cattle in the US are mainly fed on corn, they started to look for things that could present any potential health concerns. arguments made include higher cholesterol, cause of cancer, autoimmune diseases or asthma, e. coli, mad cow disease, even impotence. the list goes on and on, but all have been discussed and rebutted, and re-discussed, and rebutted again...

keep in mind, the so-called "mad cow disease" is nonexistent in the US. and there are recorded cases of CJD (creutzfeldt-jakob disease, which is the mad cow disease found in humans) among vegetarians.

you're free to think grass-fed beef is better, which some people do agree. but my opinion stands: corn-fed beef tastes way better, as does goose liver, bacon, diet coke... even stinky tofu sold on the streets!

as much fun as this has been, i'm signing out of this thread! 非常高興
danielc
初級會員
初級會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2009-10-30 08:51
引言回覆

it seems to me that u just can't face the fact that pasture-fed beef is healthier and greener than corn-fed beef...the harm of corn-fed beef has been discussed, but not rebutted.
u couldn't find any pros of corn-fed beef besides taste, could u? but thats subjective...i had some real nice grass-fed chinese beef b4, so rich in taste but not as tender.
u sure do have right to choose what to believe, but u can't ignore the facts.
cedarwood
白金會員
白金會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2009-10-30 11:28
引言回覆

danielc 寫到:
it seems to me that u just can't face the fact that pasture-fed beef is healthier and greener than corn-fed beef...the harm of corn-fed beef has been discussed, but not rebutted.
u couldn't find any pros of corn-fed beef besides taste, could u? but thats subjective...i had some real nice grass-fed chinese beef b4, so rich in taste but not as tender.

always999
白金會員
白金會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2009-10-30 12:50
引言回覆

danielc
初級會員
初級會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2009-10-30 13:27
引言回覆

cedarwood 寫到:
danielc 寫到:

u r taking it too personal...theres no winning or lose.
dun take it as an argument, its just another discussion.
be more open- minded and see the whole picture.
Ascii
進階會員
進階會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2009-10-30 13:47
引言回覆

好激烈呀 困惑
實在沒必要這麼做 難過
希望這位老兄身體無恙…吃屎可是會引發敗血症的…

always999 寫到:
難過 博士生吃牛糞抗議
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGzUCS7gcjw&feature=player_embedded
stevehhh